[GRASS-user] Geodatabase and GRASS GIS - how to get the data out of a geodatabase

Agustin Diez Castillo Agustin.Diez at uv.es
Sun Aug 9 13:39:43 EDT 2009

You're right William, I'm on OSX and it seems that out of luck but in good hands as long as you are trying to get mdb in mac.
I will keep an eye in any update about mdb-tools.
Agustin

> Markus,
>
> I was trying to get mdbtools working on OSX this weekend (yet another
> attempt), and thought your R method might be an alternative.  But that
> also requires mdb-tools - that's where mdb-tables tool is found.
>
> Agustin: If I remember right, you're on OSX?  If so, you are out of
> luck, I have yet to find or compile a working MDB library for OSX.
>
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 9:45 AM, Agustin Diez Castillo wrote:
>
> > I've tried the R solution w/o success, see below
> >
> > On Aug 9, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> >> I see two ways:
> >>
> >> 1) via unixODBC
> >> For Linux, you need "unixODBC" to be installed (your preferred
> >> distribution
> >> most likely contains this package). As done, get also the MDB Tools,
> >> compile it with unixodbc support enabled if not already done.
> >> Then follow instructions at http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_pgeo.html
> >>
> >> 2) via R

> >> install.packages('Hmisc', dependencies=TRUE)
> >> library(Hmisc)
> >> # Read all tables in the Microsoft Access database blabla.mdb
> >> #   perhaps better change to Locale in which the .mdb file was
> >> #   generated to avoid that accented table column names are
> >> #   getting lost.file first
> >> d <- mdb.get('/path/to/blabla.mdb')
> >> contents(d)
> >> for(z in 1:length(d)) print(attributes(d)$names[z])
> >>
> > d <- mdb.get('/path/to/blabla.mdb')
> > returns to me with
> > sh: mdb-tables: command not found
>
> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "Mon Dieu! but they are all alike.  Cheating, murdering, lying,
> fighting, and all for things that the beasts of the jungle would not
> deign to possess - money to purchase the effeminate pleasures of
> weaklings.  And yet withal bound down by silly customs that make them
> slaves to their unhappy lot while firm in the belief that they be the
> lords of creation enjoying the only real pleasures of existence....
>
> - the wisdom of Tarzan

Dr. Agustín Diez Castillo
Departament de Prehistòria i Arqueologia
Phone:   +34 963 86 42 42
Avda. Blasco Ibañez, 28   Fax:      +34 963 86 42 34
València 46010