[GRASS-user] grass70 and display monitor

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 04:27:14 EST 2009

Markus wrote:
>  I type in bash CTRL-R and a fraction of what I remember of
> the name, then maybe another few CTRL-R to cycle to the right
> one. Enter and I see it.

fwiw I find ^r a bit confusing to use. (user ignorance of the sublties
I'm sure..)

I much prefer to use PgUp/PgDn after typing the partial command,

create a file called ~/.inputrc containing:
################################
set prefer-visible-bell

# -------- Bind page up/down wih history search ---------
"\e[5~": history-search-backward
"\e[6~": history-search-forward
################################

I got really used to this in the matlab console (up/down arrow there)
and it hurt not to have it in bash until I learned the above trick.

for my 2c I think it's ultimately a losing battle to try and reimplement
bash ("poorly", to quote the famous phrase) and we should ship a minimal
wx based ximgview/qiv/display app with auto refesh on file update and
minimal g.region/d.zoom/d.where (right click menu only, strictly k.i.s.s.
like d.mon). I doubt it would take much effort to write or maintain as
long as we don't try to make it much more than a window into the data.
then hardcore folks can use csh/bash/emacs/whatever as they like without
the overhead of a gui.

it's too much to ask users to find a download an image viewer of their
own, especially when it's probably less than a few hundred lines of code
to ship our own wx based version.

for one thing I'd consider running that tunneled over ssh+X to a remote
number cruncher, but not a real GUI. a while ago while traveling and
only a borrowed win2k + puTTY to work with I rigged up a system where
the png driver wrote the display image across to a apache public dir
which I could reload in the web browser. not ideal, but it worked.

Hamish