[GRASS-user] Problem with grib support for GRASS 6.4

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 7 07:57:31 EST 2009

Markus & Hamish,

As you suspected, there was a problem with a 2nd gdal installation. The
environment I am working in, is a networked environment with many NSF
mounts to local workstations and servers. I am required to put any new
GRASS (or other software, including gdal) installations in a
non-standard location, one which is accessible to any user logged into
any of the networked computers. It turns out that there is also an older
GRASS installation (6.2.2) on all machines in /usr/local, which is built
on version 1.4.x of gdal. Even though when building GRASS using
./configure, the older gdal libraries were being used by my new install
of GRASS 6.4 and r.in.gdal. So, I suppose the older version of gdal
1.4.x did not support GRIB.

I'm still confused why the older gdal libs were being used rather than
my newer vesion. Is this a LD_LIBRARY_PATH issue or what? To get
r.in.gdal to import the GRIB files, I have pointed the /usr/local/gdal
directory to the newer gdal install I built rather than the older version.

Thanks again for your help!

Tom

--
Thomas E Adams