[GRASS-user] g.region (was v.to.rast conversion)

Giacomo Piva piva at meeo.it
Fri Dec 11 08:52:49 EST 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Giacomo Piva:
>
>> First of all, thanks for your reply.
>> To clarify my problem, i want to specify that the main
>> problem is that
>> all command that involves the g.region always returns the
>> reported error
>> (ERROR: default region is not set.) also the "help".
>>
>> I found a similar discussion here:
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-November/052988.html
>>
>> Where the solution was to use of the SVN version of the
>> grass.
>> I already tried to use that version, bunt nothing changed.
>> Any me any suggestions?
>>

> maybe the rc5 bug is now gone, but the corrupted WIND file still
> remains in your mapset. try 'g.region -d' to reset it.
>
> does it work from a newly created mapset?
>

> Hamish

Hi Hamish,
Maybe it could be usefull to do a backward step.

I should convert a shapefile into a raster file (GeoTIFF format) at a
given resolution and I want to use the GRASS modules as a command line
tools.
I followed the instructions in the chapter "Automated usage of grass" in
the Markus's book and I created a bash script in order to prepare the
grass enviroment:

#!/bin/bash
LOCATION=test

GISBASE=/usr/local/grass-6.5.svn
GISDBASE=/usr/local/share/grassdata

rm $HOME/.grassrc6
rm -rf "$GISDBASE/$LOCATION" #cleaning LOCATION

TMPDIR=$$.tmp
mkdir -p $GISDBASE/$TMPDIR/temp

echo "LOCATION_NAME: $TMPDIR" > $HOME/.grassrc6
echo "MAPSET: temp" >> $HOME/.grassrc6
echo "DIGITIZER: none" >> $HOME/.grassrc6
echo "GISDBASE: $GISDBASE" >> $HOME/.grassrc6

export GISBASE=$GISBASE
export GISRC=$HOME/.grassrc6
export PATH=$PATH:$GISBASE/bin:$GISBASE/scripts

After these lines I run the v.in.ogr module to import the vector:
v.in.ogr -o -e dsn=./test_data/test_data.shp output=grass_map

And the following is the error i get.
ERROR: region for current mapset is not set
run "g.region"

I tried to get the g.region help message, also I tried to reset the
region (with g.region -d) and to set a default region (with g.region -s)
but I get always the same error.

I'm very new with GRASS and I cannot understand if there is a problem in
the installation, or it is a bug (as it seemed), or I'm not working in
the proper way.

Thanks (also for the patience)

--
Giacomo