[GRASS-user] Setting DEFAULT_WIND from WIND

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 22 15:19:23 EST 2009

   As part of my reorganization, I imported the Oregon counties (from a shp)
file. After running 'g.region vect=or_counties', 'g.region -p' shows what I
expect:

projection: 99 (Lambert Conformal Conic)
zone:       0
datum:      nad83
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      1675042.91428572
south:      88600.88
west:       183871.73714286
east:       2345213.16857142
nsres:      1.00000002
ewres:      1.0000002
rows:       1586442
cols:       2161341
cells:      3428842138722

and this is what is in the mapset's WIND file. Unfortunately, the
DEFAULT_WIND in the PERMANENT mapset has only:

proj:       99
zone:       0
north:      1
south:      0
east:       1
west:       0
cols:       1
rows:       1
e-w resol:  1
n-s resol:  1
top:        1
bottom:     0
cols3:      1
rows3:      1
depths:     1
e-w resol3: 1
n-s resol3: 1
t-b resol:  1

   This makes no sense. As a matter of fact, all DEFAULT_WIND files in all
PERMANENT mapsets for the locations I've created have the same values.

   Question: why?

   When I read the g.region man page I see the '-s' option to save as the
default region. But, I'm shown that I cannot do this from the county mapset,
only from the PERMANENT mapset.

   Question: if I run g.region -s from within the PERMANENT mapset won't it
just use the same zeros and ones as above rather than taking them from the
meaningful mapset? Follow on question: how to I make the PERMANENT mapset
match that of the counties WIND without just using a text editor ... or is
that the way to do it?

Thanks,

Rich