[GRASS-user] Re-organizing Project

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 23 18:19:20 EST 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Glynn Clements wrote:

> There is no real advantage to using multiple locations with the same
> projection unless they are used for entirely separate projects where you
> will never (or, at least, rarely) need to use data in one location from
> within a different location.

Glynn,

   With my new understanding I will structure the data by one location per
state, and one mapset per project.

> OTOH, the WIND file may change frequently. This file contains part of the
> "state" of a session. It allows commands to operate on a clipped or
> resampled subset of the data without every command needing explicit
> n=/s=/e=/w=/nsres=/ewres= parameters.

   Makes sense.

> If you have several specific regions of interest, you can create named
> regions with "g.region ... save=...", then subsequently select a named
> region as the current region with "g.region region=...".

   Let me check my understanding. In Oregon/PERMANENT/DEFAULT_WIND the bounds
for the complete state are used. If I exit GRASS, then start again from a
project mapset (e.g., Oregon/project1), use d.zoom to establish the area
within which I want to work, then run 'g.region save=project1' that region
will apply only to that mapset's WIND. Is this correct?

   If this is correct, what command should I use to eliminate all data
external to that WIND? For example, the stream/river map has > 712,000
elements, but the current project area has probably 100-200. I'd like a copy
of that map with only those elements within the smaller bounds in the
project1 mapset.

Thanks,

Rich