[GRASS-user] g.copy Question

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Dec 24 12:31:12 EST 2009

Rich,

Responding to multiple messages since I get the user list in digest.

On Dec 24, 2009, at 10:00 AM, grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org wrote:

> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 05:44:40 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] g.copy Question
> To: "grass-user at lists.osgeo.org" <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> If you are in Linux, file names are case sensitive. You have to do the
>> following
>
> Michael,
>
>   Of course.
>
>> g.copy rast=DEM at dem,elev
>
>   However, all my file names are lower case.
>
>   What I currently have is /usr4/grassbase/Oregon/dem/ which contains,
>
> VAR  WIND  cats/  cell/  cell_misc/  cellhd/  dbf/  hist/
>
> and I want to move that directory across to /usr4/grassbase/Oregon/PERMANENT
> where it will reside at its full extent. Unlike the vector maps that might
> have been, for example, in /usr4/grassbase/Oregon/lotic/vector/streams where
> 'g.copy streams at lotic,streams' would copy it into the PWD of PERMANENT, the
> raster map seems to have no map name, only the directory (mapset) name.
> Ergo, it's a command syntax error on my part.

Ah. You can't do that.

g.copy only moves individual maps. It won't move entire mapsets. This has been the case since I came on board with GRASS at v.5.0 (I don't know about v.4)

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 06:03:37 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] g.copy Question
> To: "grass-user at lists.osgeo.org" <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> What I currently have is /usr4/grassbase/Oregon/dem/ which contains,
>>
>> VAR  WIND  cats/  cell/  cell_misc/  cellhd/  dbf/  hist/
>>
>> and I want to move that directory across to /usr4/grassbase/Oregon/PERMANENT
>> where it will reside at its full extent.
>
> Michael,
>
>   What the heck, I'll move the entire directory outside of GRASS and move
> on.

Yes, this is what you need to do. Take a look at Hamish's message along these lines too for vector issues. For rasters, no problem at all in moving the directories IF they have exactly the same projection parameters (extents and resolution do not matter as these can be different for different files in different mapsets).

>   Germane to your suggestion about the GUI, I could not find several
> commands there (perhaps they are menu item names different from what I
> expect to see) or I could not see how to add necessary options. I've always
> been a CLI guy, because I'm a touch-typist and don't like to have to take my
> hands off the keyboard to manipulate the trackball. And, I want to write
> scripts to set up and run models rather than doing things step-by-step in
> the GUI.
>
>   It's not just GRASS. I much prefer to do my writing in LaTeX than a word
> processor (although I do use LyX a lot), create graphics writing PSTricks
> more than using xfig, and use emacs for all my coding. Anachronistic, I
> know, but that's how I prefer to work. ;-)

Not a problem. In GRASS you can do both. In fact, we have always had a way to run commands from within the GUI. This was recently improved. My suggestion was to help you get a handle on the new system and new commands and arguments. First check to see if you are set up to run the new GUI by running following command:

g.gui wxpython (use g.gui -u wxpython if you end up liking it SO much that you always want it to start up). You'll need to have Python and wxPython installed for this to work.

Here are a few useful features for you.

1) Under the help menu is an item called 'help menu tree'. This lets you search for commands and even terms from command descriptions and find them in the menu tree--and run them.
2) If you are not sure of the command syntax, just type the command name from the terminal. You'll get a nice dialog where you can enter arguments. You'll have pull-downs for maps so you don't have to type them and remember their names.
3) There is a command console in the GUI where you can type a command and see the results. It even accepts many d.* commands (not the old interactive ones, since primitive module-based interaction has been replaced by the GUI)
4) The  display has much nicer interactive features (zooming, measuring, profiling, etc). You can set the 'computational region' to match the display, something that is quite relevant for you.

Best
Michael