[GRASS-user] re: WXPYTHON???

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Sun Feb 1 10:40:45 EST 2009

Macsurfcat a écrit :
 > MORREALE Jean Roc wrote:
 >> Macsurfcat a écrit :
 >>> Howdy,
 >>>
 >>> Just a little problem I've encountered before, resolved once but
 >>> forgotten the solution:
 >>>
 >>> I've downloaded another version of GRASS 6.3.0 because of extreme
 >>> problems with previous; the GUI default (of course) is not the
 >>> wxpython which I prefer. I have reset it again and again in terminal
 >>> with an -u flag with the same result. The claim is the GUI will be
 >>> updated, but upon opening GRASS again, the older GUI is called and
 >>> utilized.
 >>>
 >>> Help suggests several options but doesn't exactly explain how to
 >>> implement them: ie; how does one change a variable in the ".grassrc6
 >>> folder", for example.
 >>>
 >>> Sounds ridiculous, I know, but what am I missing here?
 > Yes, tried that.
 >
 > Error message follows:
 > cd ~; export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:$PATH; export
 > DISPLAY=:0.0; export osxaqua=1; export LANG=en_EN; export
 > LANGUAGE=en_EN;
 > '/Applications/GrassGIS.app/'Contents/Resources/app/grass-6.3.0/grass63
 > -wxpython
 > Cleaning up temporary files.....
 > Starting GRASS ...
 > Unable to set locale: unsupported locale setting
 > Traceback (most recent call last):
 >  File

"/Applications/GrassGIS.app/Contents/Resources/app/grass-6.3.0/etc/wxpython/gis_set.py",

 > line 31, in <module>
 >    from gui_modules import globalvar
 >  File

"/Applications/GrassGIS.app/Contents/Resources/app/grass-6.3.0/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/globalvar.py",

 > line 49, in <module>
 >    import wx
 >  File

"/BinaryCache/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-11~57/Root/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/__init__.py",

 > line 45, in <module>
 >  File

"/BinaryCache/wxWidgets/wxWidgets-11~57/Root/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/python/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core.py",

 > line 14007, in <module>
 >  File

"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/locale.py",

 > line 512, in getpreferredencoding
 >  File

"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/locale.py",

 > line 476, in setlocale
 > locale.Error: unsupported locale setting
 > Error in GUI startup. If necessary, please
 > Switching to text mode now.
 > Hit RETURN to continue...
 >
 > I've downloaded python 2.6 and wxpython 2.8; both have installed
 > themselves in my APPLICATIONS folder, as per usual on a MAC. The
 > MacPython 2.5 packaged with Leopard OSX.5 is also located in same apps
 > folder.
 >
 > The Python framework referred to above does exist, and seems to be in
 > order . . .
 >
 > I added the xpython switch by copying the login sh from the terminal
 > window after it ran and inserting the -wxpython switch manually, opened
 > the terminal and copied in the text. It ran as above.
 >
 > I am not a programmer, so when you say "launch grass with -wxpython
 > switch", I say how?
 >
 > (I'm just a dumb archaeologist)
 >
 > Eugene

Hi eugene,

sorry, I made a mistake while replying to your mail so I'm copying your
message here as it belongs more to the list.

Looking at your log, your application is already set to use wxpython
(see the line
"/Applications/GrassGIS.app/'Contents/Resources/app/grass-6.3.0/grass63
-wxpython")

I don't have access to a mac for now but could you try to open a
terminal, do export LANG=en_EN.utf8 then grass63 -wxpython ?

Regards,
MORREALE Jean Roc
an equally dumb archaeologist