[GRASS-user] re: WXPYTHON???

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 17:47:01 EST 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Michael Barton wrote:

> Not at all ridiculous. In fact, it requires some arcane knowledge. There are
> 2 ways to change the GUI. From the terminal, you can use the g.gui command.
>
> g.gui tcltk& launches the tcltk GUI
> g.gui wxpython& launches the wxpython GUI
>
> However, all module interfaces will launch in the default GUI regardless of
> which is started from the command line. If you launch GRASS from an x11
> terminal (i.e., on Linux), you can issue a command line argument with GRASS
> to set the default GUI. I believe it is -tcl and -wx. For people starting
> GRASS on windows and Mac, however, you need to edit the .grassrc6 file (not
> folder) to change the default GUI. This file is normally located in your home
> folder.
>
> This can be done with a standard text editor on windows (don't use a word
> processor that can inadvertently save this file in other than text format
> with wrong line feeds). On the Mac all files that start with a "." are hidden
> with no way built into the Mac interface to make them visible. I think this
> is a bad idea, but that's the way it is. To edit the .grassrc6 file, you can
> get utilities to make all hidden files visible ("invisibility toggler", for
> example), you can use TextWrangler's "open hidden" feature, or you can use a
> command-lined text editor like pico (hidden files are visible from the
> command line).
>
> Once you are editing your .grassrc6 file, you simply need to change the
> GRASS_GUI line
>
> GRASS_GUI: tcltk
>
> OR
>
> GRASS_GUI: wxpython
>
> ...will set the default GUI to either TclTk or wxPython.

Simpler than that (and less risk of messiness with line endings) is to use
g.gisenv to edit GRASS variables in the GISRC file:

g.gisenv set=GRASS_GUI=tcltk
or
g.gisenv set=GRASS_GUI=wxpython

will achieve the same as the above, or use g.gui as Martin suggested.
BUT, it's not true that there is no other way to change the GUI settings,
on Windows at least:
The grassXX.bat start-up script has always accepted arguments -text, -gui
or -tcltk and was recently extended to also accept -wxpython.

Paul