[GRASS-user] Algorithm in flow direction

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 6 06:42:54 EST 2009

My first reply was maybe a bit short and rude, let me try again.

Both r.watershed and r.terraflow produce various output maps and it is
not exactly clear to me what output you are interested in.
If you want flow accumulation, the threshold doesn't have an effect on
it. Flow accumulation is calculated independent of such a threshold.
If you want rivers, you can either set the threshold in r.watershed and
get stream segments or use the flow accumulation output of either module
and do something like r.mapcalc "rivers = if(flow_acc > threshold, 1,
null())", threshold would here be the desired number of cells draining
through a given cell when using r.watershed flow accumulation or size of
the area draining through a given cell for r.terraflow flow accumulation.
I'm not aware of a threshold option in r.terraflow. For r.watershed,
there is no default value for threshold, you have to specify this
threshold if you want stream segments, basins, or half basins, otherwise
r.watershed terminates with an error.

Hope that helps more

Markus M