[GRASS-user] archaeologist GRASS users - was Thiessen Polygons

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Sun Feb 15 05:18:12 EST 2009

Benjamin Ducke a écrit :
 > Hi Lyle,
 >
 > see this presentation for some case studies:
 >
 > ftp://88.208.250.116/ducke-frankfurt-foss-gis-arch.pdf
 >
 > The Xtent model shown there might be what you are looking for
 > (essentially another way to get weighted Voronoi diagrams).
 > I am sure Michael Barton could point you to other cool stuff
 > that he and his students/colleagues have been doing with GRASS.
 >
 > Maybe we should set up a "GRASS for Archaeology" user group and/or
 > web page some time. CAA 2009 might be a good pretext for that.
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Ben

Hi Benjamin, could you point me to some explanations of this xtent model
and how to use it in grass ?

 > > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:54:07 -0500
 > > From: "Lyle E. Browning" <lebrowning at att.net>
 > > The messages from Kurt Spring and Jean Roc Morreale point to
 > > archaeological work using GRASS. How many other archaeologists are
 > > there on the list using GRASS. I'd be interested in hearing about
 > > archaeological applications as I have just begun the learning curve
 > > for my own archaeological work.
 > >
 > > Thanks,
 > >
 > > Lyle Browning

In France, even if it has been teach in the mid'90s there is now only an
handful of people using GRASS. The main sofwares used are MapInfo and
Arcgis, with gvsig being the new frontend to the gov archeological
register. GIS are used to study the repartition of the material and
sites, the relation between sites and mainly the production of maps.

The volumetric's abilities of GRASS would often be a godsend but too few
knows about it.