[GRASS-user] mossy grass seeds

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Feb 16 02:52:22 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:
> just curious: was "GRASS" just cheeky naming by a competing US Gov't GIS
> team or was there tangled roots in the early days?

Here are some pointers:

http://grass.osgeo.org/devel/grasshist.html
* GRASS History I: Lynn Van Warren recalls the design of Fort Hood GIS
  software design that lead to GRASS development
* GRASS History II: GRASS Roots by Jim Westervelt (In Proc. Free/Libre
  and Open Source Software for Geoinformatics: GIS-GRASS Users
  Conference 2004, Sept. 12-14, Bangkok, Thailand, 2004)
* GRASS History III: Early GRASS Community Views on FOSS by
  Jim Westervelt (Keynote at FOSS4G2006, 11-15 September 2006,
   Lausanne, Switzerland)

cheers
Markus