[GRASS-user] vector area needs water fill

Kurt Springs ferret_bard at mac.com
Mon Feb 16 20:01:52 EST 2009

Hi folks,

I do have another problem I would like some thoughts on.

I have vector areas representing water areas (lakes and oceans).  I
purchased these areas from the Irish and Northern Irish Ordinance
Survey.  They came as .dxf packages.  I extracted them but they would
not fill.  I opened them in v.digit and found that the vector lines
were broken, even missing in places.  I did my best to close the
vectors.  The ocean was just a coastline.  I had to modify it by
attaching a the bounding box and taking away everything that didn't
look like the ocean.  Getting these areas to fill even though I think
I managed to join most of the nodes.  Some I think I really did join,
some I know would not join.

Is there a simple(ish) way to generate areas that will be I can turn
blue and say "here are the lakes and oceans"?  I don't need them for
analysis, but I would like to put maps generated into my dissertation
and have them be pleasing to the eye.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

Kurt