[GRASS-user] v.generalize for area boundaries?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 01:35:22 EST 2009

Hi,

I am following the v.generalize tutorial at
  http://users.ox.ac.uk/~orie1848/tutorial.html
   (we should move that to the wiki before it disappears)
but it doesn't say much about working with areas beyond removing small
ones.

I have a vector area which has a very "steppy" boundary, like from
r.to.vect with a sawtooth pattern at the cell edges. I want to run a
smoothing filter over it to get rid of the jaggy bits.

No matter what method I try my output map is always the same as the input
map, no vertices are created or destroyed.

any ideas how to do this?  I know about 'v.clean tool=prune' and Markus
Metz's topology-preserving v.simplify (psst- add it to wiki addons) but
I'd like to learn more about how to use v.generalize.

thanks,
Hamish