[GRASS-user] Interpolation on a Grid

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 17:32:50 EST 2009

Frank Aragona wrote:
> I'd like to do an interpolation of xyz data points that
> I have, and put the interpolated data on 100' x 100'
> grid.  So that each 100' x 100' square has an
> associated elevation value.  Any suggestions as to how best
> to do this?

depending on how many input points you have either:
  v.in.ascii, g.region res=100, v.surf.rst

or for massive datasets (>1-3 million points):
  g.region res=100, r.in.xyz, r.to.vect, v.surf.rst

choice of method and {r|v}.surf.* interpolation module are subject to
nature of data & personal preference. see also r.surf.nnbathy in wiki addons. the modules' manual pages should help you decide.

Hamish