[GRASS-user] improve v.rast.stats speed?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 07:09:39 EST 2009

Hello list.
Yesterday I needed to use v.rast.stats on a 1793 areas covering a
4415x6632 raster (with resolution 50m/pixel). I've used it without
extended statistics but the processing time was, with an euphemism,
very very long. After 5 hours it wasn't finished yet. As I needed it
for today morning I've decided to reproduce it with ArcGIS: 40
seconds. I've tried to investigate what was going wrong, the
bottleneck, but at the end I suppose that it's a problem of the script
itself (the looping chain of r.mapcalc and r.univar, the creation and
deletion of the MASK in each loop).
Is there any way to improve the performance of v.rast.stats? Should we
rewrite it in C and avoid the use of MASKs?

I must say that this has been a shock for my collegues seeing this
impressive performance differences... And I would like to contribute
in healing them! :)

Giovanni