[GRASS-user] Calculating eigen values and % variance explained after PCA analysis

Wesley Roberts wroberts at csir.co.za
Wed Feb 25 05:32:18 EST 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I have run a PCA on a five band data set consisting of three optical bands, a canopy height model and lidar intensity measures. Output from the i.pca module only provides the eigen vectors. I would like to calculate the eigen values and % variance explained by each component in my PCA analysis.

Is it possible to calculate the eigen values and % variance explained using GRASS or should I use something like R?

I am using version 6.3 on ubuntu hardy heron.

Many thanks for your help.

Wesley

Wesley Roberts MSc.
Researcher: Earth Observation (Ecosystems)
Natural Resources and the Environment
CSIR
Tel: +27 (21) 888-2490
Fax: +27 (21) 888-2693

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."
- Chinese proverb