[GRASS-user] DEM generation with v.surf.rst and isolines

Christian Braun christian.braun at tudor.lu
Thu Feb 26 09:52:34 EST 2009

Dear list members,

I am currently working on the generation of a hydrologic correct DEM.
As base data I have isolines on a 20k scale and 60000 fix height
points for whole Luxembourg (approx. 2500km^2)
I tried first v.surf.rst with the isoline input and it generates in
the region of valleys and plateaus artificial artifacts where it isn't
able to gather enough data in range of the isolines. It is clearly
visible that these represent the segmentation windows of the algorythm.
Because of the processing time (>20h for a small area) I shifted to
v.to.points in combination with v.surf.rst and try to include also the
fix height points for the interpolation.
Can you tell me some suitable parameters to start with for v.surf.rst
in context of using isolines as input. In areas with higher slope I
have plenty of representation but I don't have data in flat areas like
valleys and plateaus.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Luxembourg,
Christian

Dipl. Geogr. Christian Braun
Tel: +352- 425991-608
Mobil: +49-179-6845896
Mail: christian.braun at tudor.lu

Resource Centre for Environmental Technologies,
Public Research Centre Henri Tudor,
Technoport Schlassgoart,
66 rue de Luxembourg,
P.O. BOX 144,