[GRASS-user] Determine surface areas

Nikolaus Arnold ich at the-masterplan.net
Fri Feb 27 03:53:41 EST 2009

Hi!

I am new to using GIS and GRASS.
I am currently working on a task where I have to determine the type of
surface around a specific coordinate. For example what is the total
water surface area in a 100km radius around the Eiffeltower.
I have found a landcover map (
http://glcf.umiacs.umd.edu/data/landcover/ ) with a 1km raster that
isn't perfect but should do the job. After some time I managed
displaying the map and showing only specific values in GRASS. My next
step would have been exporting the map to an image, draw the desired
circles with a image editing tool and count the contained fields manually.
But taking a closer look at GRASS and the vectormap function, I wondered
if it would be possible to create vector circles, merge them with the
existing map and let GRASS do the work of counting the Areas.

Does this seem possible? If yes, what would be the first steps?

Any help would be very much appreciated
Kindest regards
Nikolaus