[GRASS-user] r.watershed: whats wrong?

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 27 05:33:24 EST 2009

achim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used r.watershed on a small test-region an all I produce
> for accumulation and flow-direction was -1 on the whole area
> except on the border-cells. Whats wrong?
>
> Curiously is that the first time I tried on my equal-area projection
> everything seemed normal. Before on ll it was wrong and after on that
> laea-projection it was like mentioned.
>
> I tried on grass63 and on grass64 (and different thresholds, new
> output-names...). Both the same. (On opensuse 11.1 64)

May be you need to run
g.region rast=etopo1_fil
first?

You can not use the same raster as elevation and as depression, this
will give the you results you observed, nonsense results.
The name etopo_fil suggests that you filled the elevation map first
before using it as input for r.watershed. This can heavily distort flow
accumulation and flow direction output, the input elevation map *must
not* be filled for r.watershed. Input depression is only needed if there
are real depressions in the area, depressions without outflow. The Dead
Sea is such a real depression, ordinary lakes are not, they usually have
an outflow.
More details are in the help page:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.watershed.html

Good luck,