[GRASS-user] grass wiki on RST troubleshooting

M S mseibel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 14:43:48 EST 2009

this wiki has been quite helpful, as well as the link in it for working with
contours.  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/RST_Spline_Surfaces#Troubleshooting

I'm not sure I understand where this is to make the change for MAXPOINTS?

 "In the v.surf.rst/v.vol.rst, there is a MAXPOINTS value defined (surf.h).
MAXPOINTS simply says how many input points are allowed to be computed
without segmentation. I had to increase the value of MAXPOINTS in surf.h to
1346 (or a bit more) and then to use segmax=1346 to avoid segmentation."

(sidenote) :  Something else I found cool, was using some contour lines from
a USGS map, and patching in the spot elevations (I'm working on projects in
central/south florida where its quite flat, so any supplemental elevation
data helps).  It seems that, since they are both on layer 1, that the module
incorporates the use of the points from the contour lines as well as the
spot elevations that were patched in.  Nice!   In that other software you
cant have different geometries in the same file.  I never understood why
this would be practical.  In GRASS, this is a refreshing flexibility!

Thanks, and happy GRASS-ing!

Mark