[GRASS-user] Volumes of intersections

Adam Dershowitz adershowitz at exponent.com
Fri Jan 2 18:47:19 EST 2009

Is it possible to use grass to calculate the volume of a part of a 3-D
vector object?
What I mean is if I have a mountain, for example, that is defines in
one vector map.  Then, in another map, I define an area (a plane for
example).  This represents a slice through the mountain.
Is it possible to calculate the volume of the mountain that lies above
the second plane?  (how much rock is above the slice through it?) It
seems like it should be doable, but I am not really sure how to get
going.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--Adam