[GRASS-user] Importing polygon maps with overlapping features

Vincent Bain bain at toraval.fr
Wed Jan 7 08:24:08 EST 2009

Hello there,

yes this can be seen as a limitation of grass, or more precisely of the
topological data model. But I think one must remind of the strict border
that should lie between geometry and a "semantic" contents.

With a relational database structure you can of course overlap various
characteristics of a single area : on one hand you have a set of
adjacent -- that is topologically clean -- polygons, on the other hand a
table or a set of related tables holding the complexity of attributes ;
the cat value of a centroïd has a univoque link with a row of a table,
then you can define associations of polygons (ajacent, included,
non-adjacent).

Grass does not provide tools for directly manipulating let's say
'multi-polygon' objects, but the ability to link a database to simple
geometry allows the handling of complex objects.

______

(a bit out of context : for those who worked with ArcInfo, it is
sometimes frustrating not to have in Grass a feature class like
REGION-SUBCLASS, which is to my mind a far better solution than
multipolygons (the OGC standard geographic features))

Yours,
Vincent.