[GRASS-user] v.clean process killed itselt!?

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jan 9 18:03:02 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 21:07 +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:
> [...]
This question remains. Of course only with respect to a clean european
CORINE map.

Fortunately for now I need to sample-out some rectangles. I guess I'll
have to perform v.clean + v.dissolve after v.overlay.

[...]
> > My system is 64-bit, CoreDuo 2,53GHz, and I run Ubuntu Intrepid 64-bit.
> > Unfortunately I can't install more RAM.
> > Will more swap space help?

> I doubt it.
>
> If the process died because it tried to allocate more (virtual) memory
> but failed, you would have gotten an error message from G_malloc().
>
> The "Killed" message indicates that it was terminated (by SIGKILL) due
> to either exceeding an explicit resource limit (you could try
> increasing those limits, probably by editing /etc/security/limits.conf
> then logging in again) or by consuming too much physical RAM (in this
> case, you should see an "OOM" message from the kernel in the logs).
>
> If it died because it exceeded the virtual memory limit (ulimit -v) or
> the data segment limit (ulimit -d), then more swap would allow it to
> run (but if the process' resident set exceeds physcial RAM and starts
> using swap, it will run too slowly to be of any use).
>
> So long as you already have some swap, adding more won't reduce
> physical RAM usage. So if it died due to exceeding the RSS limit
> (ulimit -m) or the kernel's OOM (out-of-memory) killer, more swap
> won't help.

Glynn, in the end of a previous post of mine [1] I have pasted the part
of /var/log/messages which I believe corresponds to the "Kill" of
v.clean. I read "oom" in two lines:

#1: Jan  9 00:02:40 vertical kernel: [179692.069294] main-menu invoked
oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x1201d2, order=0, oomkilladj=0

#2: Jan  9 00:02:40 vertical kernel: [179692.069312]
[<ffffffff802af87a>] oom_kill_process+0x9a/0x230

So RAM was(is?) the problem probably.
---

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-January/048231.html