[GRASS-user] Datum in new grass location

wout bijkerk wout.bijkerk at XS4ALL.NL
Sat Jan 10 12:07:25 EST 2009

edmondo.elisei schreef:
> Dear All,
> I'm using GRASS 6.3 (both linux and Win) and I need to reprojecting
> raster data from Lat/Long  WgS84 to UTM33N ED50.
>
> I've defined a new location for UTM33-N ED50 with the corresponding EPSG
> code (23033), but  grass has reported this alert"
> g.proj: WARNIG: DATUM unknown not recognized by grass and no parameters
> found".
>
> So, the new location datum is by default WGS84,  not ED50.
>
> it's a bug or I wrong anything?
>
> Thanks
>
> (my English sounds really bad)

Hi Edmundo,

I face the same problem since I switched from SUSE10.2 to UBUNTU
intrepid. In SUSE I never had any problems with grass 6.3 making a new
location with EPSG codes. Since I switched however (and installed the
6.3 version via Les-Ejk repository) I get the same problem as you do
with the Amersoort- RD new projection (EPSG code 28992). I get the
message g.proj: Warning DATUM <unknown> not recognised....

However, if I print projection information form a location previously
made within grass6.3 under SUSE, g.proj clearly does find a datum:

g.proj -p

-PROJ_INFO-------------------------------------------------

name : sterea

proj : sterea

datum : rd18

ellps : bessel

lat_0 : 52.15616055555555

lon_0 : 5.38763888888889

k : 0.9999079

x_0 : 155000

y_0 : 463000

no_defs : defined

-PROJ_UNITS------------------------------------------------

unit : metre

units : metres

meters : 1

I am also wondering if there is any relation with the problems Nikos and
Paolo had with importing vectors in grass with version 6.3 under
intrepid (see thread:
> http://n2.nabble.com/gdal,-v.in.ogr,-Ubuntu-intrepid-td1886320.html
That's another new problem I did not encounter using Grass6.3 under Suse).

Until now I could not think of any solution (except making the step to
version 6.4 as the problem doesn't seem to occur there)

Hoping somebody else comes with a smart idea.

Regards

Wout Bijkerk