[GRASS-user] generating lines from points

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jan 19 06:00:08 EST 2009

On 18/01/09 18:08, Martin Landa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/1/18 Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
>
> [...]
>
>> The more lines you need to generate the longer list of categories will
>> be, not possible to give the list as the parameter. Then v.edit could
>> read categories from stdin, simillary to v.net.path. Hm, what about
>> v.net? New tool to generate network from points?
>>
>> v.net input=points output=net operation=lines line_file=- << EOF
>> 1 1 2
>> 2 2 3
>> EOF
>>
>> creates edges between points 1-2 and 2-3 with category 1 and 2?
>
> better
>
> v.net points=points output=net operation=net file=- << EOF
> 1 1 2
> 2 2 3
> EOF
>
> What do you think about that?

I think that a GRASS module for connecting lines between chosen points
is a definite yes (think of point coordinates of airports with
information about flight connections between airports). Up to now I've
been doing it with a simple script + v.in.ascii.

Not sure v.net is the most logical place to have this. Maybe a
stand-alone module v.points2lines ?

Moritz