[GRASS-user] GRASS Location from scratch: Solved

"Peter Löwe" peter.loewe at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 09:25:28 EST 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:04:58 +0100
> Von: Nikos Alexandris <nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de>
> An: "\\"Peter" Löwe" <peter.loewe at gmx.de>
> CC: grass-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Betreff: Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS Location from scratch: Solved

> Peter,
>
> just out of curiosity: what's the *real* purpose of having this way to
> create a location?
>
> Kind regards, Nikos

2 1/2 reasons:

1) It builds character => 1 1/2) It's good for you (just like compiling GRASS from the sources!)

2) This approach allows to embed GRASS-driven computation in other applications: All GRASS ressources are only provided during the (outer) scripts execution. I tried to  minimize  on "carry-on luggage"  for this task - there is no more to need to drag a tarzipped "primary" location along.  Real boiled users might even go so far to wget & build GRASS from the sources before applying it in such a fashion :-)

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Löwe
<peter.loewe at gmx.de>

Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a