[GRASS-user] Character encoding problem

Jana Krajcovicova jkrajc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 05:15:39 EST 2009

CORRECTION:
It is still desirable to change the character encoding directly in the .dbf
file after import.
Reason is that setting truetype and character encoding  using
d.font.freetype only affects display commands, but reading database (e.g.,
using db.select) is still scrambled.

Maybe there is an environmental variable in GRASS which can be used to
change the default UTF8 encoding? But I would say that it is better to use
OpenOffice to change .dbf file encoding in single cases.

Jana