[GRASS-user] many polys / 1 cat

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:40:14 EST 2009

Hi all,

I imported a landcover shapefile in grass and I'm interested in only
one of the land cover class. So after importing with v.in.ogr and
running v.clean with bpol, I extracted only the class I'm interested
and now I want to get some statistics for each class polygon.

The problem is that this shapefile is one of those "multipart" files,
that is, only one line in the attribute column for many polygons. That
is, all polygons have category = 5. To make things worse, there are
islands...

So, to calculate the stats for each polygon I though about removing
the categories and adding them back again, to later use v.to.db but,
then the island will get categories too.

So, any hints as to how should I go about it?

Thanks
Daniel