[GRASS-user] Problems with v.in.ogr importing shp files

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 9 01:43:00 EDT 2009

Ferruccio Sarra wrote:
> I'm working on a 64bit pc with Ubuntu 9.04 and  no package for this
> configuration is available there.
> I compiled a Grass 6.5 from source but really don't know on
> how to compile a more recent version of gdal and even don't
> know exactly wich libraries have to be updated.

I would suggest to rebuilt from source the DebianGIS packages found in
Debian/experimental.

search the web for instructions on how to use "debuild", and see the
instructions for GRASS in the grass SVN source code debian/ dir.

> Some useful suggestion on what to do to make v.in.ogr work
> correctly with shp files?

well, it's really a matter of getting v.in.ogr to work at all!

after rebuilding and reinstalling GDAL you will want to 'make distclean'
and rebuild GRASS completely too.

Hamish