[GRASS-user] r.in.wms failure

Massimo Di Stefano massimodisasha at yahoo.it
Thu Jul 9 04:45:54 EDT 2009

Il giorno 09/lug/09, alle ore 10:14, Hamish ha scritto:

> Massimo wrote:
>>> I'm tring to use r.in.wms on mac osx leopard using grass64
>>> (binary version) this the log :
>>>
>>> GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (lonlat_pg):~ > g.region res=30 -ap
>>> projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
>>> zone:       0
>>> datum:      wgs84
>>> ellipsoid:  wgs84
>>> north:      60N
>>> south:      30N
>>> west:       0
>>> east:       30E
>>> nsres:      30
>>> ewres:      30
>
> Hamish:
>> umm, your resolution is set to 30 degrees and so it is just
>> requesting a single cell. probably not what you want.
>

> if you were trying to use a 30m resolution that is ~ 1" aka 0:00:01.
>
> but that is in total a 108000 x 108000 raster map, which is a)
> probably
> too big a map for your computer to handle well, b) too many tiles for
> r.in.wms to handle well, and c) rather abusive of their poor
> overloaded
> WMS server.

really is not my intention to overload nothing ;-)

i'm just testing r.in.wms

i used a so "bad" resolution  "res=30" (here maybe i'm wrong)
just to see if "r.in.wms" it works,

tring on a small region :

GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (lonlat_pg):~ > g.region rast=new -ap
projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      40:36:27N
south:      39:50:16N
west:       15:04:28E
east:       15:58:47E
nsres:      0:00:01
ewres:      0:00:01
rows:       2771
cols:       3259
cells:      9030689
GRASS 6.4.0RC5 (lonlat_pg):~ > r.in.wms layers=global_mosaic mapserver=http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi
  output=wms_global_mosaic
Calculating tiles
Requesting 12 tiles.
Downloading tiles
Downloading data
http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi:
2009-07-09 10:39:15 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
ERROR: Failed while downloading the data
Downloading data
http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi:
2009-07-09 10:39:23 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
ERROR: Failed while downloading the data
WARNING: 12 failed to download
ERROR 4: `/Users/Shared/grassdata/wms_download/
wms_global_mosaic__0.geotiff' not recognised as a supported file format.

ERROR: r.in.gdalwarp: gdalwarp failure.
ERROR: r.in.gdalwarp failed

maybe it is a server problem ... but no clue

i have acces forbidden, i dn't know why, i just followed the grass
help example