[GRASS-user] problem parsing rows with nulls in column(s) during input (was: error importing postgresql db)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Jun 4 15:51:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Seb <spluque at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I traced one of the problems with my attempts to import vector and
> associated attribute tables.  I found that if some rows contain null
> values for at least one column, then v.in.ascii cannot parse the table
> correctly.

Indeed, the DBF driver has troubles with empty columns.

> Column: 15 type: string length: 1
> Column: 16 type: double
> Column: 17 type: double
> Column: 18 type: double
> Column: 19 type: double
> Importing points...
>
> Populating table...
> dbmi: Protocol error

Ok, I have fixed that with Glynn's help. Now, at this point
v.in.ascii fails with

  "ERROR: Could not close attribute table. The DBMI driver did not
accept all attributes"

rather than continuing with a broken map/table.

In your example, when filling the empty columns, it works.
I suggest to use SQLite instead of the limited DBF driver.

Markus