[GRASS-user] Question about v.generalize: nothing is removed when using douglas_reduction?

hardinej hardinej at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 11:45:54 EDT 2009

Hi,
I'm trying to use v.generalize method=douglas_reduction, but the output has
the same number of vertices as the input map and I don't know why it is not
being simplified.

In case it helps, the input map is:
v.info JR_2001SubSetLines

 | Layer:           JR_2001SubSetLines
|
 | Mapset:          generalize
|
 | Location:        3DInterp
|
 | Database:        /home/eric
|
 | Title:
|
 | Map scale:       1:1
|
 | Map format:      native
|
 | Name of creator: eric

 | Source date:     Tue Jun  9 16:12:20 2009

 |   Type of Map:  vector (level: 2)
|

 |   Number of points:       0               Number of areas:      0
|
 |   Number of lines:        11758           Number of islands:    0
|
 |   Number of boundaries:   0               Number of faces:      0
|
 |   Number of centroids:    0               Number of kernels:    0
|

 |   Map is 3D:              Yes
|
 |   Number of dblinks:      0
|

 |         Projection: Lambert Conformal Conic
|
 |               N:        251271.999    S:        250940.025
|
 |               E:        913711.894    W:        913272.031
|
 |               B:            -1.288    T:            14.218
|

 |   Digitization threshold: 0
|
 |   Comments:

when I run
v.generalize input=JR_2001SubSetLines output=JR_2001_SSL_reduc_50
method=douglas_reduction threshold=0 reduction=50 type=line --o
I get
Number of nodes: 11758
Number of primitives: 11758
Number of points: 0
Number of lines: 11758
Number of boundaries: 0
Number of centroids: 0
Number of areas: 0
Number of isles: 0
Number of vertices was reduced from 23516 to 23516 [100%]

Adding the -r flag to remove small lines gives the same result.
Using method=douglas without the -r flag gives the same result.
Using method=douglas with the -r flag works, but I would like to know what
I'm doing wrong and how to use the reduction feature.
Thanks,
Eric

-----
Eric Hardin