[GRASS-user] Can I just get rid of Wish?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jun 12 15:22:56 EDT 2009

On Jun 12, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Thanks much for the additional information. Where I've run into the
> multiple python issue the most is in building from source. But I've
> also occasionally had people with issues when they attempted to run
> a binary. Bundling wxPython should help to solve that. Same with
> numpy.
>
> Any instructions on how to bundle wxPython in a binary app? I'd be
> happy to give it a go.

A while back I was thinking about adding some samples of what I do for
packaging to the wiki.  I'll look into doing that.

I was also thinking recently that I should add the bundle.make step to
the install, since it would also help a locally compiled and installed
GRASS.

> Ultimately, we should probably also bundle a Python runtime to make
> a self-contained package.

Maybe.  There's py2app, but that's more for a Python application that
*is* the application.  The GRASS GUI is something that runs within/
from the GRASS environment and is not really the GRASS "application".

I don't know how much of the support files would be needed (system
python is 200MB, python.org is 60MB).  A sample py2app would be a good
guide.

Maybe when the GUI has its own "shell" within the GUI and doesn't
require an existing running GRASS environment (ie it sets up its own
GRASS environment), py2app (or a manual method of app assembly) it
would make more sense.

> Once my MacBook is fixed next week maybe I can finally start back to
> fixing bugs and even adding new modules to GRASS 7.
>
> Michael

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.