[GRASS-user] Problems displaying .ps maps using Evince document viewer with 8.10 64 bit or 9.04 64 bit

Casey Vandenberg casey.vandenberg at sjgeophysics.com
Fri Jun 12 16:41:38 EDT 2009

I have run across some problems displaying .ps maps that contain raster
images in evince. Evince will just hang at the loading stage, but will
not ever actually load or display the .ps file that contains the raster
image.  The .ps maps were created using Grass 6.2, 6.3 or 6.4 on both
Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit and Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit machines.

The output .ps file that contains a raster layer will display properly
using Evince document viewer on Ubuntu 8.04 32 bit and 64 bit machines
as well as on Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit machines (I have not tested it on an
8.10 32 bit machine), but it will not will not display properly using
Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit or 9.04 64 bit builds.

The same .ps file that contains one raster image will load properly in
GhostView. However, if I create a .ps file that contains two or more
embedded .eps layers (each with a raster image), Ghostview will crash as
well (something like what is displayed below).

If I import the .ps file into Gimp, and then save it as a new .ps file
using Gimp, it will load in Evince.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this before? Is it a known
issue or bug?

Thanks,

Casey

Error: /unknownerrorGPL Ghostscript 8.64: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
  in --stroke--
Operand stack"
    language
Execution stack:
     %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2
%stopped_push --nostringval--   --nostringval--    --nostringval--
false   1 %stopped_push   1862   1   3   %oparray_pop   1861   1   3
%oparray_pop   1845   1   3   %oparray_pop   1739   1   3
--nostringval--  ......