[GRASS-user] Criteria for v.clean tool=rmdangle

Dwight Needels needels at translucida.com
Sun Jun 14 01:22:40 EDT 2009

The rmdangle tool in v.clean usually behaves exactly the way I would
expect it to, but occasionally it does not.

I have a vector generated from a raster using r.thin and r.to.vect
that has numerous dangles. In the attached screenshot there are what
appear to be two dangles with lengths of ~2 and ~5 ft. The two
terminal polylines of what appears to be the core vector are 16 ft and
11 ft (27 ft combined). The pre-clean vector is gray, the cleaned
vector is red, vertices are displayed as points derived using
v.to.points.

After running v.clean tool=rmdangle thresh=30 the resulting vector (in
red) removes one of the dangles plus what appears to be the two
terminal polylines of the core  vector, while leaving the smaller
dangle attached. I tried running v.edit tool=merge or
v.build.polylines before cleaning, but got the same results.

How does v.clean decide which line segment to remove as a dangle? Is
there a way to force it to remove the line segment that leaves the
longest possible remaining vector?

My workaround has been to run v.clean repeatedly with increasing
thresholds, which I think removes the shortest line segment on each
pass.

Thanks, -Dwight