[GRASS-user] v.net.visibility with obstacles that are not included as points

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Jun 26 09:03:37 EDT 2009

Take the following use case: I want to verify which antennas (points) on
a certain site actually 'see' each other and for which visibility is
blocked by buildings (areas).

So, I would like to take my point map and submit it to v.net.visibility,
telling it that it should use the area map as obstacles. However,
v.net.visibility does not work that way: I have to patch the point and
the area map and submit the patched map to v.net.visibility, but then
all the nodes of the polygons are also integrated into the visibility
analysis, i.e. I get the visibility network not only between my
antennas, but also between all polygon corners and between the antennas
and the polygon corners.

Am I misunderstanding the use of v.net.visibility, or is this something
that could be envisaged (i.e. should I post an enhancement ticket in trac) ?

Moritz