[GRASS-user] How to make a conversion of ERSI Grid ASCII==>USGS DEM?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 1 21:10:28 EST 2009

Illidan wrote:
> However, I'm only fortunate enough to get DEM data in ESRI ASCII
> format. That's why I have to do a conversion.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESRI_grid
>
> I guess ESRI ASCII format is well-known to GIS guys. Maybe I made a
> mistake mixing e00 up with ESRI ASCII. A friend of mine, who is now a
> newbie GIS engineer, told me that ESRI ASCII was the same thing as e00
> file.

everything you ever wanted to know about e00:
  http://avce00.maptools.org/docs/v7_e00_cover.html

e00 VECTOR maps can be loaded into grass with v.in.e00 or v.in.ogr:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/v.in.e00.html
  http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/v.in.ogr.html

arc ascii grids can be loaded into grass with r.in.arc or r.in.gdal:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.in.arc.html
  http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/html64_user/r.in.gdal.html

here are GDAL's pages about those formats: (top of each list)
  http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html
  http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html

try running

gdalinfo filename
   and/or
ogrinfo filename

and see what that tells you. I am sure you can import it somehow...

if it is a plain ascii file, what do the top 20 lines or so of it look
like?

Hamish