[GRASS-user] How to make a conversion of ERSI Grid ASCII==>USGS DEM?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 03:37:15 EST 2009

Illidan wrote:
> I wonder if my data is not valid,

does it look ok in grass after import with r.in.arc?

> The source of my data is (which covers a large portion of
> the world and supports ESRI ASCII output):
>
> http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/SELECTION/inputCoord.asp

Oh, it's SRTM data.

I suggest you use the r.in.srtm module to import .hgt files directly
instead of messing with old ArcInfo formats from 20 years ago.
see the help page.

> My gdal_translate is a 1.5.2 on ubuntu 8.10.
>
> $ gdal_translate --version
> GDAL 1.5.2, released 2008/05/29

$ gdal_translate -of USGSDEM S46E166.hgt S46E166.dem

works fine for me. the geotiff download option from the URL you gave
probably works fine too as input for gdal_translate. gdal loves geotiffs.

Hamish