[GRASS-user] Plot 3D Drillholes in Grass GIS

ivan marchesini marchesini at unipg.it
Tue Mar 10 18:04:09 EDT 2009

Hi...
we have worked on doing volumetric interpolation of dip and direction
obtained from survey of geological strata (but if you have a lot of data
coming from more drill holes the problem is exactly the same:

1) we consider the normal to the plane representing in each point the
badding strata

2) we interpolate (3d interpolation with v.vol.rst) the three components
(xyz) of this normal, obtaining a voxel map for each component

3) we combine back this three components to obtain a volumetric
interpolated map (voxel) of geological dip and direction

4) now we can obtaine slices of this two maps....

but if your problem is simply visualization of the data coming from a
single hole then a possible solution is to create inclined planes
(small) that pass from the point where bedding has been collected.
Then represents this planes into NVIZ

cheers

ivan

Il giorno mar, 10/03/2009 alle 12.30 -0700, Casey Vandenberg ha scritto:
> I was wondering if anybody is familiar with ways of plotting drill hole
> data in Grass (i.e. to visualize in NVIZ or to manage attributes, query
> etc...) based on point features with known dip, strike and azimuth angles.
>
> I have come across a paper (Development of Visualization Tools for
> Geologic Information on Grass GIS) which seems to do just that, however
> as far as I can tell it has not been released or provided to the Grass
> Community.
>
> If anybody is familiar with anything else, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Casey

Ti prego di cercare di non inviarmi files .dwg, .doc, .xls, .ppt.
Preferisco formati liberi.
Please try to avoid to send me .dwg, .doc, .xls, .ppt files.
I prefer free formats.
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formato_aperto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_format

Ivan Marchesini