[GRASS-user] gdal, v.in.ogr, Ubuntu intrepid

Casey Vandenberg casey.vandenberg at sjgeophysics.com
Thu Mar 12 17:57:21 EDT 2009

I also ran into the buffer overflow error that many others have been
reporting with a 64 bit 8.10 install of Ubuntu. Instead of installing all of
the debian packages that Paolo did in his fix, I only installed one
(libgdal1-1.5.0_1.5.4-2_amd64.deb).  I kept my old libgdal1-1.5.0 package
that was previously installed, and recompiled Grass. It worked for me and
only required one package installation.

As an aside, I initially tried installing libgdal1-1.6.0 from source and
then recompiled grass. Importing a shapefile using v.in.ogr still returned a
buffer overflow error, but it wasn't getting an error in the same location
as it had prior to the install. I don't have the know how to try and track
down another set of issues, so I gave up on installing from source.

Casey