[GRASS-user] Point count with large vectors

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 03:40:34 EDT 2009

Richard wrote:
> >> I have two large points files (>20,000 sites), and I want to
> >> find the number of points in A falling within a given distance
> >> of the points in B.
> >> I can use a buffer from Map A and run v.distance, but it takes an
> >> extremely long time, so suggestions would be welcome!
> As to "a long time", I left one loop running for several
> days and only completed
> one state of Australia!

to speed it up perhaps v.buffer + v.select could be used as a
pre-processing step to remove any points which are too far from both
A and B? maybe v.buffer for both A and B, v.overlay those two together,
then v.select only A and B points in that area, and finally run
v.distance for only the reduced list of points?

Hamish