[GRASS-user] Can this be done in GRASS

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 22:54:18 EDT 2009

Mark wrote:
> It looks like a relief map.
>  Done by building a DEM and adding shadded relief, or
> draping an aerial over the DEM.  NVIZ in GRASS has some
> neat stuff.

right; i.e. either with:

  r.shaded.relief + d.shadedmap for two raster maps
    (e.g. DEM and satellite image), or opacity overlay in GUIs
or
  r.shaded.relief + multiple d.vect overlays (shapefiles)
    using opacity slider in the GUIs. (or convert vector maps
    to raster with v.to.rast then with d.shadedmap as above.
or
  nviz elevation=dem color=satellite_image

you can use r.in.wms or more simply the r.in.onearth module
from wiki addons to pull in e.g. LANDSAT imagery from NASA.

some of the examples here give command scripts:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/raster.php
  http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/viz.php

Hamish