[GRASS-user] grass-6.4.0RC5 configure problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 6 09:49:29 EST 2009

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  It's been several years since I've used GRASS, but I need to define a
> drainage basin and do some hydrological modeling. So I grabbed the
> tarball, along with all the pre- and co-requisites. The latter group built
> and installed without problems on my Slackware-12.2 system.

   I removed the old readline library and re-ran configure without
specifying specific libraries and headers. The config.log shows symbol
errors in libreadline:

configure:7570: checking for location of Readline library
configure:7595: checking for readline in -lreadline
configure:7612: gcc -o conftest -g -O2    -I/usr/include/
-Wl,--export-dynamic  -L/usr/lib/ conftest.c -lreadline   1>&5
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `PC'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetflag'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetent'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `UP'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Iputs'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igoto'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetnum'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `BC'
/usr/lib//libreadline.so: undefined reference to `Igetstr'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 7601 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
     builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char readline();

   At some time in the distant past I had this happen with another build, but
it's been much too long for me to remember how to fix the problem. Your
continued advice is needed.

Rich