[GRASS-user] v.in.e00 vs. v.in.ogr

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Tue Nov 17 20:06:58 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  Looking for the v.in.ogr man page I was reminded that there is a v.in.e00.
> Should I use the latter rather than the former?

I'd suggest yet.

>  Tried running v.in.e00. After entering the .e00 file name and specifying
> 'area' for the type I and saw this fatal error message:
>
> ERROR: 'avcimport' program not found. Install it first.

That's available here:
http://avce00.maptools.org/avce00/

(in theory OGR should meanwhile support E00 but I am not 100% sure
about polygons being correctly done - there was/is a ticket open).

>  The source file is an ASCII .e00, not compressed and not needing
> comversion from ARC/Info binary to exchange format.
>
>  What have I missed here?

If you are sure you can just hack the v.in.e00 shell script and remove
the test. Or simply execute manually what the script does (it simply calls
v.in.ogr with some magic parameters).

Markus