[GRASS-user] Fwd: New updates

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Nov 18 11:24:13 EST 2009

Luis Lisboa wrote:

> I want to develop a few modules and functions to use internally in my lab
> and people would use wxpython GUI in Windows environment.
> What I want to know is which GRASS version should I start using? 6.4 (stable
> and available to WINDOWS), 6.5 or 7? What I mean is, in a couple months
> probably 6.4 will be discontinued and people will be using 7 so my code and
> applications will be outdated and I will have to redone them to GRASS7
> version

There is isn't a definitive answer to this.

There's a degree of conflict between the short-term view (develop for
6.x as that's what most people have right now) and the long-term view
(develop for 7.0 as that will eventually supersede 6.x).

One thing to consider is that there is no API stability in 7.0, so
code which works with 7.0 today won't necessarily work tomorrow. E.g.
quite recently, the raster functions were removed from lib/gis,
renamed from G_* to Rast_*, and used to create lib/raster.

When the API changes, any code which is part of the GRASS Subversion
repository will be changed to match. But if you're developing
"external" code, you'll need to update it yourself.