[GRASS-user] g.region Options Yield Different Values

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 21 18:44:49 EST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Because g.region -p shows the cartographic coordinates in metres/feet in
> the specified coordinate system (LCC, with the origin at approximately
> 41:38:42N, 125:18:06W), while g.region -l shows the coordinates converted
> to lat/lon.
>
> The reason is almost certainly that lat/lon coordinates were used
> where cartographic coordinates were required.

Glynn,

   The origin of the Oregon LCC is 41.75N (which is about 41:38), but the
central meridian is -120.5W (or 120:30W). In any case, lat/long are the way
the boundaries are specified in the metadata. There are additional units in
m/ft (probably the latter since the metadata says units are in International
Feet).

   When I specify the bounds of a region and have only lat/long values, what
am I supposed to do? I don't see this covered in the book or the man pages
I've seen.

   I would like to get this right so all additional data can be properly imported
and make life easier.

Thanks,

Rich