[GRASS-user] Old GRASS GIS compilation

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Mon Nov 23 17:43:58 EST 2009

Firman Hadi wrote:

> I am compiling GRASS 4.3 on Debian Woody.
> My aim is to use r.le.dist function. I have tried to compile it but there
> is one error that I can't solve. The error message is like below:
>
> /home/firman/grass4.3src/src/libes/vask
>  make -f OBJ/make.rules
>
> rm -f OBJ/V_call.o
> gcc   -I/home/firman/grass4.3src/src/include   -DUSE_TERMIO -c V_call.c
> V_call.c: In function 'V_call':
> V_call.c:355: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
> V_call.c: At top level:
> V_call.c:430: error: static declaration of 'fmt' follows non-static
> declaration
> V_call.c:171: error: previous implicit declaration of 'fmt' was here
> V_call.c:449: error: static declaration of 'centered' follows non-static
> declaration
> V_call.c:234: error: previous implicit declaration of 'centered' was here
> make: *** [OBJ/V_call.o] Error 1
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src/libes/vask
>
> By this email, I would like to ask help from anyone who have experience
> installing GRASS 4.3.

You can fix these specific errors by moving the definitions of fmt()
and centered() from the bottom of the file to the top.

But you may encounter many more such errors trying to compile GRASS
4.3 with a modern C compiler. You could try using an older compiler,
but that may not work with the headers from modern libraries.