[GRASS-user] Data Source: Interbase/Firebird

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 23 20:53:05 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, John Callahan wrote:

> Reading the info on http://nhd.usgs.gov/data.html, it looks like the NHD is
> available as ESRI personal geodatabase (mdb files, which is the native format
> of the NHD data model developed by USGS) as well as shapefiles (which
> includes basic geometry and attributes, no relationships, etc...)

John,

   I'm embarrassed to write that I did not look carefully enough at the Web
site. I saw that I could order the files I wanted, but neglected to check
format assuming they'd be .e00 like most federal agency data. Mea culpa!

> OGR can read/write shapefiles and read-only ESRI personal personal
> geodatabase (MDB) files, http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html.

   I know. I've been using v.in.org for the vector data from the Oregon state
GIS repository.

   Thank you ... I'll re-order the data. They put the data on one of their
ftp servers. Oregon data (zipped not tarred and gzipped) is 425M; unzipped
it's 1.1G.

Much appreciated,

Rich