[GRASS-user] peaks from r.prominence

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Nov 25 16:29:57 EST 2009

Bulent,

I compiled r.prominence and can give you a copy. It seems to run best
from the command line, with various problems in the GUI. I did a
couple of tests and put the results of one into

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/temp/

To run this, you first need to make a floating point DEM for some
reason. You can do that with...

r.mapcalc 'DEM.fp = 1.0*DEM'

You need to pick the window size for identifying topographic
prominence. I tried it with 5m and with 50m. The smaller window finds
very small peaks and finds a lot of ridges. The larger window does a
better job of finding peaks. But it tends to find major peaks (like
inverted DEM and r.terraflow) rather than local ones.

The screenshots are for r.prominence run with a 50m window. Be
forewarned it goes VERY slow with a large window and may take an hour
or so.

Michael
C. Michael Barton
Arizona State University